Leading causes of residential fires in Augusta and how to prevent them
There are many hazards you must think about as a property owner. Fire is at the top of the list, as it can occur in any place and at any moment. The U.S. Fire Administration estimated a stunning $8.9 billion in property damage in the United States as a result of residential fires in 2021. That same year, there were over 350,000 documented incidents. Thankfully, there are things you can do to keep them from taking place|. Investigate the causes and how to prevent house fires in Augusta.
What starts residential fires in Augusta?
Fires can begin in any location and without notice, whether ignited by a burning cigarette in a waste container or a neglected stovetop. Here are the leading causes of residential fires.
- Cooking: Incidents in the kitchen are the most widespread sorts of residential fires in Augusta and elsewhere. Neglected stovetops are the main source, so always keep an eye on that smoking skillet when making a meal. It’s also important to note that dousing a grease fire with water will only worsen the situation.
- Heating: Space heaters are well established as a cause of residential fires. Running them for too long can cause inner components to break down and ignite. Worn cords and placing heaters by flammable items like bed sheets or window coverings will also lead to disastrous results. Other types of heating, such as HVAC systems and fireplaces, might cause fires and ought to be examined regularly.
- Electrical: Old wiring, malfunctioning outlets, and overwhelmed extension cords are a few of the ways electrical problems lead to fires. Whenever you discern flickering lights, sparking from an outlet, or odd odors, get it inspected right away.
- Candles: Whenever there's a flame, there's the possibility of fire. Residential fires caused by candles are still commonplace and often result from careless behavior. Placing them within a pet’s domain or too close to flammable items will lead to disaster.
- Smoking: In spite of the overall decrease in smoking across the country, it’s still a primary fire hazard. The U.S. Fire Administration estimated that 7,800 residential fires were caused by smoking in 2021. Nodding off with a cigarette in hand or prematurely discarding smoldering ashes can cause catastrophic results.
The most effective way to prevent house fires in Augusta is to steer clear of negligent behavior. Always watch closely when cooking, don’t leave a candle burning unattended, and properly get rid of cigarettes. If you have to run a space heater, do so infrequently and invest in one that has an automatic shut-off feature in case it is knocked over.
Safeguard your home with a monitored fire alarm in Augusta
You need to have smoke detectors on every floor and think about installing more by sleeping quarters. But you can take your home’s safety a step further with a monitored fire alarm. These innovative safety components will not only discern smoke but can also trigger due to rising heat. Additionally, since they incorporate into your modern smart home, they’ll notify you and your monitoring representatives whenever an emergency occurs. This is a notable benefit, especially when you’re not around to hear the alarm and phone the fire department.
Defend against common risks with a Vivint smart home in Augusta
Elevate the protection of your residence today with a Vivint smart home. You may custom design our systems with monitored fire alarms, water sensors, and carbon monoxide detectors. You’ll be thankful for the instant updates to your mobile device and the peace of mind that comes with professional monitoring. Contact (706) 780-3805 to get started.